Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Sandy

Author's note: Recently a hurricane hit the east side of the U.S. This hurricane was named Sandy. I will be writing a piece in response to this tragic event. I will be focusing oI staying in the same tense and not switch tenses like I usually do. I will also be trying to have a good thesis statement by connecting it to a real-life event.


The wind whipped the telephone poles outside of my house to the ground. I winced as I heard the snap of the cable cords as the big wooden pole hit the ground with such a huge force that it shook the ground under my feet. I quickly grabbed the food from the cupboard, and sprinted to the basement, trying to get away from Hurricane Sandy.

Quickly I reached my parents' room where everyone in my family had been camping out during the hurricane. Quietly I creaked open the door listening to my family laugh and enjoy themselves for the first time since the hurricane hit. I slowly opened the door only to find myself laughing as hard as everyone when I saw what had happened.  The baby had painted the walls with the breakfast from that morning.

Once everyone had finished laughing my mother went upstairs to grab a towel. I walked over to the corner and started to create dinner. I organized everything so everyone would have an equal amount of food. When I finished the dinner I picked it up and turned around to bring it to everyone. Then Wham! I tripped over the toys my sister had left out right behind me.

I sat up and saw all my family laughing so I couldn't help but laugh too. Once we all finished laughing I picked up the food and took it to the bed and sat it down there and said, "Eat."  They all dug in greedily but left enough for me to have a decent meal.

I ate all the food that was left over. Slowly I trudged to the bed that we all had been sharing and climbed in. As night fell, I slowly drifted off to sleep into a deep slumber. Hopefully everyday will be like today.I thought to myself right before I went to my own dreamland, where there would be no hurricane Sandy, or nothing else that can hurt my family. Or me.

1 comment:

  1. First off, I like how you are focusing on a specific aspect of your writing -- in this instance, tense. You successfully controlled the tense here, and the interactive voice demonstrates a human understanding of the victims of the hurricane. Well done.

    ReplyDelete